To add to the article we printed in our September newsletter, here’s how you can specifically help those affected by Hurricane Irma…
- Kenny Chesney started Love for Love City Foundation to help provide relieve and rebuilding in the US & British Virgin Islands, where he lost his home on St. Johns and where approximately 20 people took shelter to ride out the storm.
- Helping Hands also has a Latin America and Caribbean Fund to help those in the region recover from Hurricane Irma
- Samaritan’s Purse has teams across the Caribbean and also in Florida to help with clean up.
We encourage you to read this article by Time which provides even more info and suggestions to help those affected by Hurricane Irma. For more info on how to still help those affected by Hurricane Harvey, please check out our September Newsletter here! This is also the article that we printed:
- Red Cross – Text HARVEY or IRMA to 90999 to send $10, which will be added to your phone bill
- Global Giving -Text HARVEY or GIVE 29734 to 80100 to donate $10 to the Protect Children In The Path of Irma or to Hurrciane Harvey Relief Fund.
- Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund – established by Houston Mayor, tax deductible.
- Salvation Army – Donate online or text “Storm” to 51555 to support Salvation Army disaster teams on the ground.
- Catholic Charities USA – Text CCUSADISASTER to 71777
- Houston Food Bank – Every dollar donated offers a full day of meals.
- Texas Diaper Bank – The Diaper bank is seeking cash and diaper donations.
- SPCA of Texas – The organization took in many cats and dogs and is ramping up to help more.
- Southern Baptist Disaster Relief – Donations support with meals, showers, laundry, and home restorations.
- Houston Flood Relief Fund – Houston Texans player JJ Watt is leading this campaign which raised 1.2M already.
Charity Navigator recommends donating to, Houston Food Bank, Food Bank of Corpus Christi, Houston Humane Society, or San Antonio Humane Society.
Take a minute to read more of this article for more info, including tips to avoid being scammed which, sadly, happens all to often in situations like this.
**As of print time, Irma was just making landfall so this list isn’t inclusive of charities working with Florida or the Caribbean Islands. Please check our website for more info on those charities in the coming days.